Residents - Recreation - Boating Licenses
Every person who operates a motorized boat in Canada must obtain proof of competency.  You can obtain a Pleasure Craft Operator Card by passing a Transport Canada Accredited boating safety test.  Getting your Operator Card proves that you are a competent boater and ensures that you understand Canada's navigation rules and how to boat safely
What is a Pleasure Craft Operator Card?
A Pleasure Craft Operator Card proves that you have gained the knowledge to safely operate a motorized pleasure craft on Canada's waterways.
Who needs a Pleasure Craft Operator Card?
>  Federal law in Canada mandated by Transport Canada
>  All operators of motorized vessels regardless of age, size of boat or engine horsepower
> No grandfather clause or age exemption
> Boaters caught without the card face a minimum $250 fine
This applies to all persons who operate a powered watercraft fitted with any size or type of motor - even trolling and electric motors.  The PCOC is the most common proof of competency in Canada.
How do Boaters Obtain Their Card?
The easiest way for boaters to obtain their Pleasure Craft Operator Card is by successfully passing a Transport Canada Accredited, multiple choice exam at
Since 2005, BOATsmart! has been a leading provider of the PCOC and offers an on-line study guide, practice quiz and exam.
Get Your Boat License -